We're very excited about our latest giveaway! Starting next Monday (March 5th) and continuing through the month of March we will be giving away John Piper stuff each week. I'd love to give you a full list of the prizes, but I can't cause I'm hoping to add more as the month rolls on. You can see a partial list above in the banner. We will start each giveaway on Monday and close it on Friday. But we wanted to give you a week to let all your friends know before we got rolling!
In the meantime, here's some "freebies" from my blogroll to whet your appetite:
1. Pastor John will be leading a free seminar on theme of Future Grace March 16–17 at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis. I can't make it to this one, but anyone in the Minneapolis area (or with a few days free, even if you're not in the area) would be well advised to attend.
2. Ryan Harper says Future Grace is Piper's greatest book in Books & Culture:
I was not prepared for so careful a treatment of race and Christianity as I found in Bloodlines. No Piper text of which I am aware displays the pathos and intelligence of Bloodlines. The book contains passages that I never thought I would read from a popular, supposedly “conservative” evangelical—on white normativity, on whites’ funding of negative black media images, on sin as not simply self-aggrandizement but also self-hatred. Piper’s adumbration of individualistic-versus-structural accounts of racism in the book’s second section is informed and cautious against reduction. True, concerns remain; despite Piper’s insistence that Christ challenges individualists and structuralists alike on race matters, the primacy of Christ-initiated heart transformations in Piper’s argument belies an inclination toward individualistic anthropologies. But great books prompt as many concerns as they resolve. Bloodlines is Piper’s greatest book.You can read the whole thing here.
3. Tim Challies has put together a list of 12 songs (mostly hip-hop) that either feature John Piper preaching or have been directly influenced by him or one of his books.
- "Don't Waste Your Life" by Lecrae
- "Make War" and "This Song's for You" by Tedashii
- "All-Consuming Fire" and "My Portion" by Shai Linne
- "Who He Is" by Json
- "Unstoppable" and "Desiring God" by Voice
- "Sanctification" by Timothy Brindle
- "Actions Speak Louder" by Swoope
- "The Glory of God" by Matt Papa
- "The Best Is Yet to Come" by The Joy Eternal